Thanksgiving day boasts more home fires than any other day of the year. In 2013, there were around 1.2 million house fires all year. Three times more fires occur on thanksgiving, according to the National Fire Protection Agency. Many factors contribute to an appliance fire: inattention can cause a dish to overheat and ignite; too much oil in a pan can cause a spill which will lead to a grease fire; too much heat used in the oven can also cause combustion. When you begin to juggle multiple dishes, family members and football, accidents can happen. To help you prevent these accidents, the Parker Law Firm has some tips to that will help you avoid causing a house fire.
Tips To Avoid a Kitchen Fire
- Pay attention to what you are currently cooking. If you have to leave the kitchen, turn the stove off until you return.
- Don’t wear loose clothing that could catch on fire when exposed to an open flame.
- Keep all flammable materials away from the stovetop while you are cooking. Food packaging, curtains, wooden utensils, paper towels and grocery bags can all catch on fire.
- Clean your cooking surfaces thoroughly to avoid igniting any extra particles or grease.
- Keep a timer on for every dish that you are cooking. A flame can erupt from an overcooked dish.
- Keep children away from the cooking area to avoid spills and other accidents.
- Install a smoke alarm in your kitchen. The smoke alarm will alert you to a smoking dish that is capable of catching fire.
Tips to Extinguish a Kitchen Fire
- If the fire occurs in a small pan, then put on an oven mitt and put a lid on the pan. Remove the pan from the stove and turn off the burner. The lid will suffocate the flames and the fire should be extinguished.
- If a grease fire occurs, pour baking soda on it and the fire will be extinguished. Do not pour water on a grease fire, as water repels grease and will spread the fire. Only baking soda or the suffocation method will work.
- Use a fire extinguisher.
- If the fire occurs in the oven, turn off the heat and keep the lid closed, the lack of oxygen should smother the fire. If that doesn’t work and the fire seems to be growing, then get everyone out of the house and call 911.
- If the fire occurs in the microwave, unplug it and keep the door shut. The lack of oxygen will suffocate the fire.
What to Do in the Event of a Kitchen Fire
Safety should be the first thing you think of if a fire occurs in your home. If it looks like the fire is spreading and you cannot contain it, then get your friends and family out of your home and dial 911 or your local fire department. In 2013, home fires caused 2,855 civilian deaths and 14,075 injuries. These same fires cost $11.5 billion dollars in property damage. After your family is safe and the fire engines are on their way, call the Parker Law Firm. Our attorneys routinely handle insurance companies who are only out to maximize their profits. At the Parker Law Firm, People Matter, and we pride ourselves on getting fair settlements from insurance companies. A fire can destroy a home and leave a family broken and penniless, but we can help you put your lives back together.